The Village of East Canton was settled in
the 1700’s and had the honor of being the first county seat. It is home to
approximately 1,591 people, located in the heart of Osnaburg Township just 10
miles east of Canton on State Route 30 and 4 miles south of Louisville on State
Village Hall was built at 130 Cedar Street South in 1890. Remodeling was
done in 1905 and 1966. Another renovation took place in 2002 converting
the attached former fire department into office space, police department and
council chambers and allowing the building to be handicap accessible. The
original Village Hall with bell tower still prestigiously stands and serves as
the Mayor’s Office.
The Wheeling and Lake Erie
Railroad brought many passengers through the village in the late 1800’s.
The Werner Inn stands on the corner of State Routes 44 and 172 in the village.
The Osnaburg Historical Society owns and operates the inn which has been
restored to its original state with much of the period furnishings. This
building also served as a tavern in the 1800’s. Just across the
street stands another historical inn.
attend Osnaburg Local Schools. Our new school, located at 310 Browning Street in
East Canton, was built in 2010 and houses all students in grades PreK-12.
The Smith Gym on Browning Street was built in 1964.
Some buildings in the Nassau Street “business district”
built as early as 1844 were general stores, hotels, blacksmith, pool hall and
meat market. These buildings still stand and are now home to an antique
store, computer shop, an apartment, pizza shop, hair salon, flower shop, novelty
store, barbershop and small engine repair shop.